It has been quite an exciting year for us at BeerUnion. We released our first book, went on a book tour, and brewed our first batch of beer on a commercial system. We also visited Google.
2014 has been even more exciting for New York City beer. The number of brewers in the city climbed over twenty with openings in each of the outer boroughs. Combined with the Craft Act that passed through the state legislature and was recently signed into law by Governor Cuomo that allows brewers to sell pints, the opening of so many breweries means it’s even easier for New Yorkers to get beer from the source.
Here are breweries that opened in New York City during 2014:
Bierkraft, Brooklyn, opened brewing operation inside its shop
Bronx Brewery, Bronx, had previously been contract brewed
Finback Brewery, Queens
Flagship Brewing Co., Staten Island
Greenpoint Beer and Ale Co. (Dirck the Norseman), Brooklyn
Gun Hill Brewing Co., Bronx
Keg and Lantern Brewing Company, Brooklyn
Other Half Brewing Co., Brooklyn
Transmitter Brewing, Queens
Threes Brewing, Brooklyn
The changes in the New York’s brewing landscape went beyond the opening of new breweries:
– Chelsea Brewing closed the doors of its brewpub after the 20 year lease for their space on Chelsea Pier ended. Chelsea continues to brew at Greenpoint Beer Works while they look for a new space in the city.
– Brooklyn Brewery announced that they are looking to open a large new facility, hopefully on Staten Island.
– Big Alice Brewing and Rockaway Brewing Company expanded their brewing operations.
– New York also saw some of the country’s most popular and highly regarded breweries enter the market like Bell’s, Ninkasi and Almanac.
– Anheuser-Busch InBev added a regional brewer from the Northeast by acquiring the Long Island based Blue Point Brewing.
– New York State brewers brought home four medals from the Great American Beer Festival including a Gold Medal for Gun Hill Brewing’s Void of Light Stout in the Foreign Style Stout category.
Cheers to 2014, looking forward to another great year for New York beer!