At the end of March, an explosion on Second Avenue in the East Village caused three buildings to collapse (aftermath is pictured above). Many businesses have been struggling since, including craft beer institutions Jimmy’s No. 43, Burp Castle and Standings (also known as the “Brewmuda triangle”).
On Friday, May 15, the New York City Brewers Guild will be holding a fundraiser at Brooklyn Brewery to raise money for the affected businesses.
From 6 to 11 p.m., you’ll be able to purchase a $20 tasting card that gets you 10 tastings from local breweries. All proceeds from the cards and regular bar sales at the brewery will go towards relief for those affected by the explosion.
Here’s the (rather excellent) lineup of beers:
- Brooklyn Brewery: K is for Kriek
- Kelso Beer Co.: Juniper Black IPA and Carroll Garden Wit
- Other Half Brewing Co.: All Green Everything
- Gun Hill Brewery: Revolution Red Rye
- Flagship Brewing Co.: Dark Mild
- Finback Brewery: Auspicious Day Double IPA
- Greenpoint Beer & Ale Works: When Life Hands You…
- Rockaway Brewing Co.: Golden Rye SMaSH
- Queens Brewery: Queens Lager
If you would rather taste some homebrew or can’t make it to the Brooklyn Brewery on Friday, you still have an opportunity to offer your support by attending Suds in Solidarity on Sunday May 17 at the Sixth Street Community Center. All proceeds from ticket sales and raffles will benefit the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City Building Collapse. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.